Monday, May 17, 2010

Eucharistic Bead- at LAST!

Finally, after two botched tries of making a Eucharistic bead, I succeeded! Eucharist means thanksgiving and, boy, am I thankful this finally turned out! As I worked, I prayed that the Lord's Will be done and I prayed that if it was His Will that this bead would turn out well. Thank You Jesus for answering my prayers!

I started out my third try with a different brand of clay called Kato clay. I have to order it from the Internet since it's not sold in any stores around here. It's a harder clay, but it's also more consistent, which makes it great for squares and rectangles. I combined the blue and yellow blocks to make a green color, as you can see in the picture. 

Next I made the Host and Chalice- after doing this twice in the past month, I was pretty good at it!

Then I added black outlining and the green clay to make a rectangular shape.

Here's what it looked like after 20 minutes of stretching the clay. You can see that the white clay was slightly softer than the other colors, but that was ok because the host was a little big to begin with.  Don't let the look of this ugly looking cane fool you. It's what's on the inside that counts!  After stretching it a good deal more, I sliced it up into small beads.

Here they are! Finally, a Eucharist bead worthy of the clay rosary! Praise God!!


Allison said...

stunning, Sarah!

Lacy @ Catholic Icing said...

Yay! I'm so glad it turned out this time! I hate having to do things over and over- there's nothing more frustrating.

Allison said...

very impressive!

Christina said...

Good job Sarah, I'm glad that you finally got it!

Karen Simon said...


Sarah Harkins said...

Thanks, everyone :D