Saturday, February 4, 2012

What I Learned

I'm thinking about trying to this new thing called: "What I learned today" posts.  As you may have noticed, I've stopped trying to compose posts on what I know.  It was short lived since I really don't know that much to begin with.  But what I don't know, boy, I could go on forever.

So what I'm learning today: how to make bone broths.  According to several sources (Dr. McBride Campbell, Weston A. Price etc), they are really healthy and used to be the backbone of many civilizations' diets.   I have two broths going right now: a beef and pork mixture, and a chicken broth that will be used tonight for soup.  Hoping it will help my kids get over the food poisoning I probably inflicted on them. Which brings me to my second "What I learned today"...

Don't leave chicken fat out for several hours and then cook something in it.  My traditional eating one track mind got ahead of me and I thought it would be ok since it was mostly coconut oil anyway.  NOT such a good idea.  Lesson learned.  Refrigerators are my friend even if they weren't used a hundred years ago.

That's it for now. I'll save the other hundred things I've learned today for another post. Like how to clean up multiple vomit spills in less than 1 minute with a baby on my hip.

3 comments:

Allison said...

you are a funny lady!

melody said...

About leaving chicken fat out... I did this but I was the only one who got sick. Refrigeration is indeed a great blessing. Hope the littles feel better soon. :)

Katie said...

I have never left chicken fat out, what happens to it? Does it go rancid?

My grandmother always made bone broths and soups from them, so chicken soup is still a homemade staple in our house. Love it! Cannot wait to hear how the GAPS diet goes for you.