|Healthy cows eat grass!|
Yes, I am still obsessed about food and it's only getting worse. All those thoughts from our little "detox" diet have been getting louder and louder as I learn more about what healthy eating should look like. Turns out I was right to follow my instinct and stop the former grain-dominate diet of my kids. They are now eating many foods that they have never wanted to eat before and it's just the beginning of our healthy eating journey. They were spotted eating lettuce wraps at the Christmas Eve dinner and when complimented on their tastes, I attributed it to our new grain free, sugar free, vegetable oil free (among other things) diet. I got a look of pure skepticism, so here's the list of resources that have been very helpful in my learning process thus far:
- Weston A. Price Foundation. I have my friend, Jaime, to thank for creating a monster! I'm now hooked on their research and diet recommendations. We will now be drinking raw milk. I never thought I'd go to this level of crazy. I have to laugh when I tell people! Turns out the way people were farming and eating for all those thousands of years until the 1900 century was actually the way to go. Who knew?
- Sally Fallon, author of Nourishing Traditions, which I cannot wait to read- I have heard so much about it.
- The work of Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride including her book, which I will be receiving in the mail soon. I'm gearing up for the GAPS diet and it's all I can think about lately. I've watched her presentation from the Weston A. Price London Conference (scroll through a few videos until you get to her), and I am convinced it's going to solve almost all of the health problems that have exploded in the past century. So ground breaking, yet so simple; it just makes sense. I've watched the video twice now.
- Food Inc, the documentary. Eric and I are seriously thinking about a nice little piece of farm land to grow our own food and animals. It just may happen in the next year or two.
- Fat Head, the documentary. Good overview of our nonsensical low fat, high-carb modern diet.